St Brendan’s core business is to educate our children within the context of their Catholic faith.
We believe that for children to learn effectively they need to:
- understand the purpose of their learning.
- have a safe and secure environment, both physical and emotional.
- apply learning in real-life contexts.
- have opportunities to make decisions about their own learning.
- experience a curriculum that is inclusive of backgrounds, culture and interests.
- have opportunities to learn collaboratively (with and from each other).
- have opportunities to practise using their new skills and knowledge.
- apply a range of learning strategies, including seeking help when needed.
- learn from their mistakes and develop a habit of perseverance.
- be resilient.
- be motivated by a range of engaging and purposeful activities that are directed to their needs.
- access a curriculum where their developmental needs are addressed in a systematic and explicit way.
- take increasing responsibility for managing their own learning.
- develop deep levels of understanding of concepts.
- have opportunities to reflect on their learning experiences through self, peer and teacher feedback.
- experience success and celebrate their achievements.