St Brendan’s core business is to educate our children within the context of their Catholic faith.
We believe that for children to learn effectively they need to:
- Understand the purpose of their learning.
- Have authentic purposes for learning.
- Apply learning in real life contexts.
- Have opportunities to make decisions about their own learning.
- Experience a curriculum that is inclusive of backgrounds, culture and interests.
- Have opportunities to learn collaboratively (with and from each other).
- Have opportunities to practise using their new skills and knowledge.
- Apply a range of learning strategies including seeking help when needed.
- Learn from their mistakes and develop a habit of perseverance.
- Be resilient.
- Be motivated by a range of engaging and purposeful activities that are directed to their needs.
- Access a curriculum where their developmental needs are addressed in a systematic and explicit way.
- Take increasing responsibility for managing their own learning.
- Develop deep levels of understanding of concepts.
- Have a safe and secure environment, both physical and emotional.
- Have opportunities to reflect on their learning experiences through self, peer and teacher feedback.
- Experience success and celebrate their achievements.