An important aspect of St Brendan’s is to ensure that children develop a strong connection to their own community and understand the contribution they can make to their community.
Programs we have been involved in this year and hope to continue to be involved in are:
- Aged Care Visits
- Meals on Wheels
- Junior Rotary Awards Program
- Participation in community events e.g. ANZAC Day, NAIDOC, Remembrance Day
Working With Children Checks
As you would be aware the Minister for Education, the Hon. James Merlino MP, issued Ministerial Order No. 870 that prescribes specifically what schools must do in order to comply with the new Child Safe Standards. This Order makes clear the deliberate actions that schools must take to ensure the care, wellbeing and protection of children and young people. In accordance with these standards, please be aware of the following requirements of volunteers:
- If you are entering the school grounds to help the school in any way you have become a volunteer. Volunteers are required to hold a Working With Children Check. We have a register at school, please provide us with a copy of your card.
- All volunteers must come directly to the school office and sign-in on V-PASS. Once you have signed- in you will be asked to wear a Volunteer Identification Card.
- On signing-in you will read the school’s Code of Conduct which outlines acceptable and unacceptable behaviours of a volunteer at St Brendan’s Primary School.
- At the beginning of 2019 all volunteers must attend a Volunteer Workshop run by St Brendan’s Primary School. These will be 30 minute session and several will be conducted to accommodate parents’ attendance.
In no way are these new measures designed to discourage volunteers from helping at our school. These new measures are in place to ensure we are doing all that is possible to ensure the safety of the children in our care. We encourage all our parents to complete the WWCC which is a simple online process and is valid for three years. Please complete the application at: http://www.workingwithchildren.vic.gov.au