An important aspect of life at St Brendan’s is to ensure that children develop a strong connection to their own community and understand the contribution they can make to their community based on the teachings of the Catholic faith.
Programs we are involved in each year include:
- Aged Care Visits
- Meals on Wheels
- Junior Rotary Awards Program
- Participation in community events e.g. ANZAC Day, Reconciliation Celebrations, Remembrance Day
Working With Children Checks
On 31 January 2022, the Victorian Minister for Education made a new Ministerial Order under the Education and Training Reform Act 2006 (Vic.) Implementing the Child Safe Standards – Managing the Risk of Child Abuse in Schools and School Boarding Premises (Ministerial Order No. 1359). This Order makes clear the deliberate actions that schools must take to ensure the care, wellbeing and protection of children and young people. In accordance with these standards, please be aware of the following requirements of volunteers:
- If you are entering the school grounds to help the school in any way you have become a volunteer. Volunteers are required to hold a Working with Children Check. We have a register at school, please provide us with a copy of your card.
- All volunteers must come directly to the school office and sign-in on V-PASS. Once you have signed- in you will be asked to wear a Volunteer Identification Card.
- On signing-in you will read the school’s Code of Conduct which outlines acceptable and unacceptable behaviours of a volunteer at St Brendan’s Primary School.
- At the beginning of 2020 all volunteers who have not already done so must attend a Volunteer Workshop run by St Brendan’s Primary School. These will be 30 minute session and several will be conducted to accommodate parents’ attendance.
In no way are these measures designed to discourage volunteers from helping at our school. These new measures are in place to ensure we are doing all that is possible to ensure the safety of the children in our care. We encourage all our parents to complete the WWCC which is a simple online process and is valid for three years. Please complete the application at: http://www.workingwithchildren.vic.gov.au